Nephrology emerged as stand alone therapeutic discipline in the 1920th.
Kyiv professor FG Yanovskyi (1860-1928) is soundly considered as founder of scientific nephrology in Ukraine. He is author of the study “Diagnosis of kidney diseases in connection with their pathology” (Kyiv, 1927).
In the 1960th prof. AP Peleshchuk leaded the development of nephrology as standalone branch of science in Kyiv. He headed the Department of Nephrology, Kyiv Research Institute of Nephrology and Urinary Tract Infections from 1965 till 1973.
From 1973 to 2002 the Department of Therapeutic Nephrology of the Institute of Urology and Nephrology was headed by Academician of the Academy of Medical Sciences, Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine L.A. Pyrih.
According to the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated December 13, 2001 No.562-r and the Decree of the Presidium of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine dated December 19, 2001, No. 9/3, the Institute of Urology and Nephrology of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, the Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine was reorganized which resulted in establishing the Institute of Nephrology with doctor of medical sciences, prof. M.O. Kolesnik as head of new Institute.
At present, the Institute has become a leading scientific, methodological, and medical institution of the state of Ukraine. The achievements of the Institute staff are recognized both in Ukraine and by the world scientific community.
The most important achievements of the Institute for the time of its functioning are:
- establishing of all of the Institute structural subdivisions. Presently the Institute consists of: clinic, departments of nephrology and dialysis, efferent technologies, child nephrology, scientific-organizational and patent licensing works, laboratories of biochemistry, immunology, microbiology, pathomorphology, administrative personnel, accounting department, personnel department, office and economic unit. Currently Institute consists of 133 employees including 72 scientific staff members of whom 1 is Corresponding Member of the Ukrainian National Academy of Medical Sciences, 8 Doctors of Sciences, 5 Professors, 17 PhDs and 91 – Clinical staff;
- passing of the joint order of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine and the Ministry of Health of Ukraine dated September 30, 2003 No. 65/462 “On improving the quality and organization of the system of medical care for adults with a nephrological profile”, which approved the structure of the organization of the system of provision of phased medical care to patients with a nephrological profile as well as provision of city and district centers of nephrology and dialysis, advisory nephrology office, department of outpatient dialysis;
- creation of a modern structure of specialized medical care for patients with a nephrology profile, which includes regional, city, district and interdistrict centers of nephrology and dialysis;
- establishment in 2003 of the National and Regional Registers of Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease, followed by an annual update. The national register meets the international requirements and has been included in the European register since 2006;
- establishment and approval by Higher Attestation Commission of Ukraine (2003) the scientific specialty “Nephrology” (code 14.01.37); approval of the program of candidate examinations in the field of nephrology;
- opening of the Institute’s own clinic in October 2004, which at the present time includes: the Department of Nephrology and Dialysis, the Department of Intensive Nephrology, the Consultative-Polyclinic Department, the Department of Ultrasound, the Clinical-Diagnostic Laboratory, the Department of Pathomorphology, the Analytical and Methodological Office and the economic unit. Today the clinic has 96 employees;
- creation in January 2004, according to the Order of the Higher Attes of Ukraine of Ukraine dated June 1, 2009, No. 397, Specialized Academic Council D 26.565.01, specialty 14.01.37 “Nephrology”, which was granted the right to conduct the acceptance for consideration and defense of the thesis for the Doctoral and PhD degree in the specialty: 14.01.37 “Nephrology”;
- creation in 2004 of the Problem Commission in the specialty “Nephrology”, the membership of which for 2010-2012 was approved by the Academic Council of the Ministry of Health and Medical Sciences of Ukraine in May 2010;
- the establishment in 2004 of the scientific and practical, quarterly edition (certified by the Higher Attestation Commission of Ukraine) of the Ukrainian Journal of Nephrology and Dialysis, which informs readers on a wide range of issues of practical and experimental nephrology and related disciplines;
- adoption of the classification of diseases of the urinary system for nephrological practice at the 2nd National Congress of Nephrologists (Kharkiv, 2005), which made it possible to unify the terminological concepts, approaches to diagnosis, treatment and prevention, and to improve the national and regional registries of patients with chronic kidney disease;
- the introduction in 2007 of a puncture biopsy of the kidney, which allows to determine the morphological verification of glomerulonephritis;
- creation of electronic software for conducting national and regional registries of patients with chronic kidney disease in 2007;
- the opening in 2007 of the department of intensive nephrology in the structure of the clinic, created for the first time in Ukraine, together with the DU “National Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery”;
- postgraduate and doctoral studies in the field of nephrology are functioning at the Institute. Approved by order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine from 01.12.2016 № 1503L;
- award of the 2009 State Award of Ukraine in the field of science and technology for the development and introduction of a set of methods for diagnostics, prophylaxis and treatment of kidney diseases (Kolesnik MO, Bagdasarova IV);
- the Institute is a co-founder of the National Renal Fund of Ukraine, whose main objective is to provide charitable assistance in the development of nephrological science and practice and to promote the level of social rehabilitation of patients with a nephrological profile;
- since 2010, thematic improvement has been launched for practical doctors and nurses on dialysis, intensive nephrology and child nephrology (License of the Ministry of Education of Ukraine АВ № 552211 dated 29.06.2010);
- developed and approved by the order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine dated May 11, 2011 No. 280/44, the standard and protocols of provision of specialized medical care to patients with nephrology profile;
- at the direct initiative of the Director of the Institute, the Association of Nephrologists of the Newly Independent States was formed, whose members, besides Ukraine, are nephrologists from Russia, Belarus, Uzbekistan, Moldova, Georgia, and Kazakhstan;
- the “Ukrainian Journal of Nephrology and Dialysis” (certified by the SAC MES of Ukraine), was included in the list of scientific professional editions of Ukraine (Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine dated 10/07/2015 No 1021). The magazine is referenced and indexed in the international science-computer databases: A reference database of the V.I. Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine; Russian Scientific Citation Index (RINC) based on a scientific electronic library (eLIBRARY.RU); Index Copernicus; Directory of Research Journal Indexing (DRJI); Google Scholar The site of the journalhttp://www.ukrjnd.com.ua;
- the Order of 11.07.2012 № 514/41 “On Approval of Forms of Primary Accounting Documents, Forms of Reporting on the Registration of Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease, Renal Transplant or Acute Kidney Damage and Instructions for their Completion” was developed and approved;
- the Order of 30.09.2014 № 74/688 “On Amendments to the Order of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine and the Ministry of Health of Ukraine of September 30, 2003 No. 65/462” was developed and approved.