The main clinical directions of the department:
- screening, diagnosis, treatment and prophylaxis of chronic kidney disease;
- diagnostics and treatment of urinary system infections, including those associated with gynecological diseases;
- recurrent infections of the urinary system;
- diagnosis and treatment of hyperoxaluria;
- monitoring and treatment of diabetic kidney disease;
- diagnostics and treatment of primary and secondary lesions of the kidneys;
- training and retrusion of patients treated with peritoneal dialysis;
- dialysis renal replacement therapy;
- treatment of mechanical and infectious complications of peritoneal dialysis;
- counseling patients with nephrology profile in the medical institutions of Kyiv and Ukraine;
- conducting clinical trials of new drugs
Scientific directions of the department work:
- microbiocenosis and local immunity of the genitourinary system of women with urinary system infection, prevalence of concomitant inflammatory diseases of the genitals and the intensity of oxidative stress as possible components of the formation of a recurrent course of the disease
recurrence-dependent features of mucosal and general immunity of patients with pyelonephritis;
- the colonization of the intestine formigenes, the metabolic activity of its microflora and the degree of immune protection of the body of patients with recurrent pyelonephritis;
- the correlation of indices of colonization resistance of the intestine with the intensity of oxidative stress, the frequency of relapses of pyelonephritis and the level of daily excretion of oxalate;
- predictors of the formation of relapsing flow of pyelonephritis;
- screening of the most commonly used probiotics regarding the ability to metabolise oxalate and its prophylactic use to prevent the development of relapses of pyelonephritis and treatment of hyperoxaluria;
- the state of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in PD patients, their interrelation with the indicators of dialysis adequacy;
- metabolic predictions decrease the survival of the PD method;
- the intensity of oxidative processes, the vegetative and psycho-emotional status of PD patients, their impact on the adequacy of dialysis and survival of the method;
- systemic effects of local pro- and anti-inflammatory mediators in patients treated with peritoneal dialysis.
In accordance with the indicated directions, the department’s staff, in cooperation with scientific laboratories, perform the following research work:
- “To study the mechanisms of disturbances of colonization resistance and metabolic function of microbiotics in patients with pyelonephritis, as factors of formation of relapsing disease” (2016-2018);
- “To study new prognostic and negative determinants of survival of the method of peritoneal dialysis and the possibilities of their pharmacological correction” (2017-2019).
There are 3 postgraduate students studying in the department, 1 of which are independent from production. The main provisions and results of research work are published annually by the department staff at national and international scientific-practical conferences, conferences, congresses; are being introduced into clinical practice.
More than 700 scientific works, including Monographs: “Infections of the streaks and urinary tract” (2003), “Defeats caused by rheumatic diseases”, “Theory and practice of evidence-based medicine” (2004), “Pages of the history of urology and nephrology” (2007), “Fundamentals of nephrology” (2008, 2010, 2013), “Cardiovascular Complications in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease” (2010), “Theory and Practice of Evidence-Based Medicine” (2017).
Methodological and educational work of the department:
- organization and conducting of scientific-practical events, congresses, conferences;
- conducting lectures and seminars for medical workers;
- courses for thematic improvement for doctors: “Peritoneal dialysis”;
- creation and / or improvement of teaching materials for medical staff, patients and their families;
- creation and implementation of clinical guidelines and the development of unified protocols for the diagnosis and treatment of patients with diseases of the urinary system.
The department has:
Head of the department – doctor of medical sciences, senior scientist Natalia Stepanova
Leading Researcher – Ph.D. Larysa Lebid
Senior Researcher – Ph.D. Liudmyla Snisar
graduate student – Olena Burdeina
laboratory assistant – Kravchenko Larysa